pinterest button

Monday 2 September 2013

the colour of the universe

lisaluvz - Sea Glass Stack







































Maybe a decade ago, I read the book Color: A Natural History of the Palette by Victoria Finlay. In the final pages, Finlay writes about  the colour of the universe being a pale turquoise.

I never knew what that meant, but, this being the end of the summer, turquoise has been coming up a lot in my visual universe; in things I’ve seen, places I’ve been, and art, objects and images I’ve pinned on Pinterest. So I googled “the colour of the universe” to find out more.

Turns out, a recent scientific study has revised the colour of the universe to an off-white on the beige-ish tones. Astronomers have collected millions of samples of light from all over the universe, lined them up on a spectrum, and calculated their average. It’s not turquoise. There was a flaw in the original software, they say, which gave that result.

So now the colour of the universe is off-white. 

I wish I didn’t know that.



Here, anyways, is my celebration of turquoise….


bottles
Jane Hollidge

Brendan Adams


Artist unknown

Makiko Suzuki



Rolland Chang

door -- Pitigliano, Tuscany
Lis Holt
Artist unknown



water

Three chairs on St. Clair Avenue, Toronto. 14 August 2013. Photo by Wendy Stefansson.


























No comments: